Auchtermuchty has been a settlement for hundreds of years. From the Romans to royalty the town has a rich history ... read more.
There are a number of publications, presentations and documents that our members have produced. Some of these are presented below and others will be added in due course, so keep checking back.
We have also been hosting online talks and these are available to view from the 'videos' tab on our Facebook page, links are provided from our Talks Library.
Over the years our enthusiastic group have prepared a number of publications. Click the contents button to see inside. If you would like to get hold of a hard copy please get in touch. We hope to reproduce some of the content on the website in due course.
Links to another website
The 1883 Map
Read the story of how we came to find a detailed map from 1883, and who drew it. What does the map tell us about Auchtermuchty at that time?
At one point in time there were 5 schools in the village. Take a look at some amazing information about them.
Auchtermuchty - A Brief History
Muchty has been a settlement for hundreds of years. It was the site of a 63 acre Roman temporary camp in about the year 210. What happens for the next 1000 years is still a mystery to be solved!
In the year 1205 the King of Scotland granted the lands of Auchtermuchty to the earl of Fife. At this time Muchty was a small farming community and farm workers were paid for scything, lifting and carrying hay. There were also a few small-holdings to the west of the Muchty burn that were rented by locals. A grain mill, smiddy, farm offices and brewery were some of the industries in the town in the 1200s.
In 1245 the village achieved parochial status when the place of worship was recognised as a church.
By the beginning of the 16th century Auchtermuchty appears to have developed into a significant community. This may largely be the result of increased commerce and trade generated by the royal court at nearby Falkland Palace. Perhaps recognising the financial benefits of this trade King James V granted Auchtermuchty its Royal Burgh status in May 1517.
The Royal Charter allowed the town to have a Town house, a Market Cross and weekly markets. An annual fair was permitted and, since the church had dedicated to St Serf, the town’s annual market was to be held on ‘the day of the feast of St Serf’. The Charter also allowed the Burgh to buy and sell wine, candle wax, woollen and linen cloth and all other merchandise. Bakers, mealmakers, brewers, fleshers, fishmongers and all other tradesmen were allowed to set up business in the town. In return for all these privileges the people of Auchtermuchty were contracted to pay taxes and dues to the king, based on their property, landholdings and proceeds of their trade. Auchtermuchty clearly benefitted from all the privileges granted by the Royal Charter, but the king undoubtedly got his share of the bargain too!
From 1760s to 1821 the population of Auchtermuchty doubled from 1,300 to 2,700 people. This was largely due to the boom in handloom weaving, weavers moving to the town for employment. Handloom weaving prospered and weavers had a good standard of living and contributed significant taxes to the Burgh Council. The boom collapsed once mechanised weaving frames were introduced, operating out of nearby larger towns. Handloom weaving never recovered and the last working loom in the town ceased to operate in the 1880s.
There is so much depth and breadth to Muchty’s history, so much to write about, yet so much still to research and learn. Bonthrone’s Stratheden Distillery, the railway, Myres Castle, John White & Son, Robert Ferlie, Archibald Findlay, Captain Moodie of the Cutty Sark, Sir Jimmy Shand, the Proclaimers to name but a few topic areas.
Muchty Heritage will aim to share with you our passion, knowledge and information. This website is work in progress and we will expand its content as resource and information becomes available. If you wish to comment or contribute please do contact us.